From Amahi Wiki
This is the knowledge base wiki for Amahi the home server. Please add or edit any information in this Wiki that you feel is lacking, missing, or needs improvement.
- Introduction to the Amahi HDA, or Home Digital Assistant, "like a PDA, but for the home"
- Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- HDA Admin How To
- HDA OS Migration Guide
- Amahi Video Tutorials
- Popular Topics of Interest
- Community Feedback
- Current stable release: Amahi 8, Fedora 21.
- Amahi one-click applications are typically updated for the latest stable release ONLY.
- This wiki is built to provide support for the stable release primarily.
- Registration in this wiki is subject to manual approval due to spam considerations.
- Maintenance Support ONLY indicates all Amahi updates (i.e. platform, applications, etc) have been halted.
- Fedora 21 / Amahi 8 (officially supported release)
- Maintenance Support ONLY
- Amahi Virtualized (NOT fully supported)
Refer to the troubleshooting page for assistance.
- Terminal Scripts: Useful command line scripts.
- Linux/HDA Commands: Commonly used commands for Linux and Amahi.
- Storage and file sharing: Setup & manage users and shares and access between them.
- Access Shares using Windows (XP/Vista/7/8), Mac OS X, and Linux systems.
- Post Install Hardware Changes: Steps for changing hardware on your Amahi server (i.e. mother board, network card, etc).
- Adding additional hard drives to your HDA: Use the Amahi Disk Wizard application for Amahi 8. The manual guidance remains available for all other Amahi versions.
Accessing your HDA from anywhere on the network
- Virtual Private Networking (VPN): Access from outside your network.
- Secure Shell (SSH): Key-based access to your HDA.
- Virtual Network Computing (VNC): Access from inside your network (e.g. if your HDA is "headless").
Redundant Storage Pooling for your files
- Greyhole: Overview of Greyhole.
- Greyhole Wiki: External Greyhole Wiki site.
- Storage Pooling: Overview of what it is all about.
- Greyhole Logmon: Amahi application for your HDA that monitors Greyhole activity.
- Mounting Shares Locally: How to mount shares locally on the HDA for managing data safely.
- Greyhole landing zone (LZ): Explained and how to work with it.
- Updating Greyhole: How to upgrade to the latest version of Greyhole.
- Moving Data Out of Greyhole: Removing drives and data out of the storage pool.
- Reconnect Greyhole Storage Pool: How to add existing Greyhole data drives to a new installation.
- Greyhole UI Application Transition Guide: Move from manual Greyhole install to the Greyhole UI application
Using your HDA to manage your home network
- Local Area Network (LAN): Internal networking
- Set Static IP Address: How to assign static IPs to your network devices.
- Turning off DHCP Server: Shows how to turn off DHCP Server on your HDA.
- Change IP Address: Change IP address of your Amahi server, Network Gateway, and DHCP Server Range.
- Single Network Dual HDA Setup: Configure and use two HDAs on the same network.
- Adding an HDA networked printer: Guide to set up a print server on your HDA.
- Wide Area Network (WAN): External networking
- Hosting a web site: Display your own web site on the internet from your Amahi home server
- Changing DNS provider: Change from OpenDNS to your Internet Service Provicer (ISP) or other third party provider.
- Configuring OpenDNS: Configure OpenDNS to filter or block web sites.
- Punching DNS Holes: How to assign IP addresses outside of your network for your home domain.
- Apps Gallery: The repo of Amahi one-click applications (NOTE: Convenience fees may apply; log into Amahi website to purchase).
- PRO and NINJA plans: Provided users with additional Amahi benefits for a small monthly fee.
- Monit Web Interface: Amahi application to monitor and control status of your HDA services.
- Creating web apps: how to make your own web apps, with your code or other's code
- Calendars: How to use the calendar server in the HDA, including Outlook and iCal sync.
- Backups: How to backup/restore Windows XP, Windows Vista/7/8, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS X.
- Automatic Database Backup: Automated daily backup of HDA databases.
- RAID: Configuration guides for RAID 1 and RAID 5.
- Password protect Applications: Provides password protect for your Amahi installed applications.
Contributed by the Amahi user community
Roadmap & Development
The core team ONLY supports Ubuntu and Fedora development at this time. All others are being supported by the user community.
ACTIVE: Released or Development In Progress
- Fedora 21 (Current official release)
- Fedora 23 (starting development)
- Maintenance support ONLY
INACTIVE: Unsupported or Development Stopped
- Fedora 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
- Ubuntu 12.10 or newer
- CentOS 5, 6, 7, or newer
- Scientific Linux 6.1 or newer
How you can help
- Translate Amahi to your language
- How to Create a new Theme
- Submit a Bug/Feature/Support report
- Package or Test apps
- Amahi Wallpapers
- Amahi Banners