This is the knowledge base wiki for Amahi the home server. Please add or edit any information in this Wiki that you feel is lacking, missing, or needs improvement.
- Introduction to the Amahi HDA, or Home Digital Assistant, "like a PDA, but for the home"
- Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- HDA Admin How To
- HDA OS Migration Guide
- Amahi Video Tutorials
- Community Feedback
- Current stable release: Amahi 10, Fedora 25.
- Amahi one-click applications are typically updated for the latest stable release ONLY.
- This wiki is built to provide support for the stable release primarily.
- Registration in this wiki is subject to manual approval due to spam considerations.
- Maintenance Support ONLY indicates all Amahi updates (i.e. platform, applications, etc) have been halted.
- Fedora 25 / Amahi 10 (officially supported release)
- Maintenance Support ONLY
- Amahi Virtualized (NOT fully supported)
Refer to the troubleshooting page for assistance.
- Terminal Scripts: Useful command line scripts.
- Linux/HDA Commands: Commonly used commands for Linux and Amahi.
- Storage and file sharing: Setup & manage users and shares and access between them.
- Access Shares using Windows (XP/Vista/7/8), Mac OS X, and Linux systems.
- Post Install Hardware Changes: Steps for changing hardware on your Amahi server (i.e. mother board, network card, etc).
- Adding additional hard drives to your HDA: Use the Amahi Disk Wizard application for Amahi 8 or greater. The manual guidance remains available for all other Amahi versions.
Accessing your HDA from anywhere on the network
- Virtual Private Networking (VPN): Access from outside your network.
- Secure Shell (SSH): Key-based access to your HDA.
- Virtual Network Computing (VNC): Access from inside your network (e.g. if your HDA is "headless").
Redundant Storage Pooling for your files
- Greyhole: Overview of Greyhole.
- Greyhole Wiki: External Greyhole Wiki site.
- Storage Pooling: Overview of what it is all about.
- Greyhole Logmon: Amahi application for your HDA that monitors Greyhole activity.
- Mounting Shares Locally: How to mount shares locally on the HDA for managing data safely.
- Greyhole landing zone (LZ): Explained and how to work with it.
- Updating Greyhole: How to upgrade to the latest version of Greyhole.
- Moving Data Out of Greyhole: Removing drives and data out of the storage pool.
- Reconnect Greyhole Storage Pool: How to add existing Greyhole data drives to a new installation.
- Greyhole UI Application Transition Guide: Move from manual Greyhole install to the Greyhole UI application
Using your HDA to manage your home network
- Local Area Network (LAN): Internal networking
- Set Static IP Address: How to assign static IPs to your network devices.
- Turning off DHCP Server: Shows how to turn off DHCP Server on your HDA.
- Change IP Address: Change IP address of your Amahi server, Network Gateway, and DHCP Server Range.
- Single Network Dual HDA Setup: Configure and use two HDAs on the same network.
- Adding an HDA networked printer: Guide to set up a print server on your HDA.
- Wide Area Network (WAN): External networking
- Hosting a web site: Display your own web site on the internet from your Amahi home server
- Changing DNS provider: Change from OpenDNS to your Internet Service Provicer (ISP) or other third party provider.
- Configuring OpenDNS: Configure OpenDNS to filter or block web sites.
- Punching DNS Holes: How to assign IP addresses outside of your network for your home domain.
- Apps Gallery: The repo of Amahi one-click applications (NOTE: Convenience fees may apply; log into Amahi website to purchase).
- PRO and NINJA plans: Provided users with additional Amahi benefits for a small monthly fee.
- Monit Web Interface: Amahi application to monitor and control status of your HDA services.
- Creating web apps: how to make your own web apps, with your code or other's code
- Calendars: How to use the calendar server in the HDA, including Outlook and iCal sync.
- Backups: How to backup/restore Windows XP, Windows Vista/7/8, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS X.
- Automatic Database Backup: Automated daily backup of HDA databases.
- RAID: Configuration guides for RAID 1 and RAID 5.
- Password protect Applications: Provides password protect for your Amahi installed applications.
Contributed by the Amahi user community
Roadmap & Development
The core team ONLY supports Ubuntu and Fedora development at this time. All others are being supported by the user community.
ACTIVE: Released or Development In Progress
- Fedora 25 (Current official release)
- Fedora 27 (Development planning)
- Maintenance support ONLY
INACTIVE: Unsupported or Development Stopped
- Fedora 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28
- Ubuntu 12.10 or newer
- CentOS 5, 6, 7, or newer
- Scientific Linux 6.1 or newer
How you can help
- Translate Amahi to your language
- How to Create a new Theme
- Submit a Bug/Feature/Support report
- Package or Test apps
- Amahi Wallpapers
- Amahi Banners